• info@haemophiliawales.org


Rebecca Holland Social Worker at Cardiff Haemophilia has outlined relevant Benefits for us. This information is for general guidance only. If you need specific information about your claim we recommend you contact a welfare advice service such as the Citizen’s Advice Bureau and speak to one of their advisors. Contact details of your local CAB office can be found on their website.


Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

This benefit replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in April 2013 for people aged between 16 and 64 years. Any new claims will be for PIP. People in this age range who are currently receiving DLA should be contacted by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) by letter in the next 12 months asking to them to make an application for PIP. Existing claimants of DLA will not be transferred to PIP but will need to complete a new claim. If existing claimants ask for a review of their DLA claim then they will be asked to complete a claim for PIP. Personal Independence Payment has different entitlement criteria to those for DLA to better understand today’s understanding of disability. The DWP assessors look at a person’s individual circumstances and entitlement will depend on how their ability to carry out daily living or mobility activities (or both) is affected by their condition or disability. Entitlement will not depend on what health condition or disability they have.

This isn’t a means tested benefit. It’s purpose is to help people with disabilities and health conditions with the extra costs they incur because of their additonal care and/or mobility needs. PIP covers a wide range of medical conditions including mental health and learning difficulties so not all of the questions on the application form will be relevant but it’s important to fully answer the questions which are relevant to the difficulties you’re experiencing. If you have fluctuating needs then it is recommended when you complete the application form, you explain fully in each relevant section how your abilities change and how you function when you’re experiencing your worst symptoms.

The initial application can be made by telephone and the information you will need to hand when making the call is listed below:

– Contact details and date of birth
– National Insurance number
– Bank or building society details
– Doctor’s or health worker’s name
– Details of any time you’ve spent abroad, or in a care home or hospital
DWP – Personal Independence Payment claims
Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call. You can also write asking for a form to send the above information by post (this can delay the decision on your claim).

Personal Independence Payment New Claims
Post Handling Site B
WV99 1AH



Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

This benefit has replaced Incapacity Benefit and Income Support for some people. You are no longer able to make a claim for Incapacity Benefit and most existing claimants of Incapacity Benefit have already been asked to apply for Employment Support Allowance.

This is means tested benefit so you will be asked about your income during the application process. ESA is paid when somebody isn’t able to work because of a illness or a medical condition therefore they’re not able to earn an income from employment. You can apply if you’re not able to work for a period of time but expect to be able to return to work in the future. When you return to work your ESA claim will end.

The initial application can be made by telephone and the information you will need to hand when making the call is listed below:

– National Insurance number
– Medical certificate
– GP’s address and phone number
– Home and mobile telephone numbers
– Mortgage or landlord details
– Council tax bill
– Employer’s address and telephone number and dates of employment or last day worked
– Bank account details
– Details of any other money you are getting, e.g. benefits or sick pay

Telephone: 0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888
Welsh language telephone: 0800 012 1888
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm



Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children under 16 yrs

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) can be paid for children under 16, but there are extra conditions about their care and mobility needs. To get the care component of DLA, a child must meet the same conditions as an adult, but they must also show that they need a lot more care or supervision than other children of the same age. For example, a child aged under 16 cannot get the DLA care component just because they are unable to cook a main meal for themselves.

You can make a claim for the care component of DLA as soon as a child is born, but you won’t be paid any benefit until the child is three months old. The extra conditions no longer apply when the child reaches the age of 16.

Children under 16 can’t get the mobility component of DLA until they are three, for the higher rate, or five, for the lower rate. To get the lower rate, they must also need more help or supervision than other children of the same age. This extra condition no longer applies, once the child reaches the age of 16.

When a child turns 16 years they will be asked to make an application for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Children under 16 can’t make a claim for DLA in their own right – another person, authorised by the Department for Work and Pensions, must make the claim on their behalf. This person is called an appointee and will usually be the child’s parent or guardian.

Use the DLA claim form to apply for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children under 16. The form tells you where to send your application. You can order a printed form by telephoning the Disability Living Allowance helpline.

Telephone: 0345 712 3456
Textphone: 0345 722 4433
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm